Saturday 2 July 2011

8th June- Bananas roasted with Galaxy!

Asked about doing night shifts next week, seeing as during the mornings there are quite a few volunteers about (around 15) so each ward is getting pretty crowded and there is less involvement when there are so many of us.  Night shifts are good because there are supposedly only a couple volunteers.  Looking forward to it!

Was in the lab again today, I'm really liking it in there because I really feel like I'm doing something to help rather than just stand around and observe.  Today was actually kind of a quiet day though, not many patients, which I know is a GOOD thing! but it just makes you wonder if you are really using your time wisely.  Did do several Widal tests (testing for typhoid), malaria and an HIV test...which I found out can not be said aloud as an HIV test for confidentiality reasons and is called something else which I can never remember.  Unfortunately this sample today was positive after running the rapid HIV test and then another stick test that takes 20 minutes to set...shame :(  Also managed to do several blood draws today and hit the veins everytime! (touch wood for next time)
Lily, me and another medical volunteer (Alan)

The kids with roasted choc. bananas and a Hobnob biscuit.

Went to the orphanage again today.  The group of us planned to do a bonfire with the kids and roast marshmallows and I said I'd introduce them, and I guess everyone else to s'mores!  Took our family's daughter Lily with us for the evening.  It was really fun!! Didn't end up making s'mores after all because one of the other volunteers had already prepared a bunch of bananas with galaxy chocolate pieces in them to be roasted on the fire...pretty clever!! I've never heard of such a thing, but they ended up tasting delicious!  The kids seemed to really enjoy themselves and all the sweets, I feel bad for the mamas, hopefully the kids will 1) go to sleep at a decent hour after eating so much sugar that they don't usually do and 2) the kids won't be sick from the sweets. 

After a few hours we eventually went home to get dinner of coconut milk beans and rice and watermelon!! yay :D  Good food, see the food section for a look. Then bed time, pretty exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment