Monday 4 July 2011

24th June-Last Day :(

       Yesterday Niamh and I checked up on baby James to see how he was doing one day later and he was still on the nasal cannula.  Not good...and his breathing sounded so raspy and not in a normal rhythm.  The nurses say he was probably brain damaged from lack of oxygen while he was stuck in the birth canal.  So sad.  We asked the head doctor what he planned to do about the baby, because he can't just stay here on the ONLY oxygen machine that we have.  He needs to go for tests and such and be on oxygen for a while it seems like and for that he needed to go to Mt. Meru Hospital in Arusha, the same one we took Seamus the other night.  He said he'd put a transfer in after he performed that days C-section and we asked to be let known when he'd be going.  After about an hour or two all the papers were completed and we got to drop little James at the hospital in Arusha as well as two twins born a few days ago.  One of the twins had severe pneumonia, and the other had that as well as sepsis.  The twins stayed in a paediatric special unit while James went to the NICU, where we also cheekily checked on Seamus.  Sad story that we couldn't find him at all and the nurses were completely useless saying they had no idea where he had gone and didn't even know of him.  So odds are he must have died, just a shame we'll never know.

    Today I got to do my first casting, wrapping a foot and an arm today.   Also cleaned and dressed some wounds in minor theatre.  Pretty exciting! Very mellow last day and it was kind of sad to be leaving the doctors.  Had to say my goodbyes today, by this stage I had really become quite comfortable with everyone and had the routine down.  I just wish I could have stayed longer!  My plan is to come back in three years, hopefully after having one year of medicine completed.  I can't wait.  Atleast now I can 100% say that I want to do this type of medicine: helping those who don't have access to good equipment or can't afford to be looked at or can't afford gauze, ointment, or their medicine, all of which the patients have to purchase themselves PRIOR to treatment.  I'm gonna be back!!

Outside the hospital entrance on my last day.

Sunrise leaving Nairobi airport for London.

No comments:

Post a Comment