Thursday 23 February 2012

Race2Barcelona for Charity!

At Uni we have intersemester breaks, the break at the end of January and the beginning of February after Christmas holidays and exams...two weeks of nothingness before the second semester.  Every year St Andrews hosts a Race2??? event in which teams of twos or threes race from some destination between Edinburgh and Glasgow to the destination of choice that year in the fastest time possible and without spending a single pence.  The last five years it was Race2Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, Munich, and this year it was to Barcelona...the furthest they have gone yet.

I had always wanted to do it since year one, but something always got in the way.  First year it was because I had just started a new job two months prior and I felt bad for saying I'm going away for a month now, the second year I had to take a gap year out, the year I came back I decided to save money and work and this year I decided no excuses, I'm going!! I was especially excited the destination was to Barcelona because I had always wanted to go to Spain and I'm desperate to learn Spanish so this, I thought, would be the perfect opportunity!

My work friend I met over the summer asked if I'd be his partner and I readily said yes!! and since then it was one of the only things I was looking forward to :)  How much fun it would be!  Last minute however, actually two mornings prior to our 5am departure, he decided he didn't feel like doing the race anymore.  GUTTED.  I was actually devastated, because I had been planning my semester on doing this race, I didn't want to work another slow and boring intersemester break and be bored out of my mind while half of my friends were back home or on holiday.  But Saturday night, 11:45pm I got a text saying:

"Another person is in a similar situation and is wondering if you would be happy to race with him?..."  I facebook stalked him for a moment, noticed he already found me, read his email and replied within ten minutes of finding out.  I didn't know the guy, so we arranged a coffee date for the next morning and it was a done deal, I thought perfect! he seems like he'd be a really good partner for the race and that we'd have a good time together...and that we absolutely did.   We called ourselves Devine Fate, joked that it would be funny if we won after both our partners left us, and set off at 5am from Sallies Quad the next morning!




Let the adventure begin :)

1 comment:

  1. Sam, are you still volunteering at the hospital? Is there a need for newborn hats there? I have a knitting project going but want to make sure it goes to a rural hospital which is hard to do from Canada! All the larger organizations really have what they need. If they do please e-mmail me at williamgeorge.knits@yahoo.com and we can chat about it. Your blog is great.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete